Wednesday, November 2, 2011

CCD

Up until about 2 hours ago, my children had never been in a true classroom. They had never been in a learning environment/school without me as their teacher or working there. As I sit here right now, that is no longer the case and here is why. . .

A few weeks ago, we were told that although we use a Catholic Curriculum (Seton Home Study), that if we wanted Little Robert to receive his First Holy Communion and Sacrament of Penance, that he would be required to attend 2 full years of CCD Preparation. . .

I had many emotions in regards to this. We made it a point to use a Catholic curriculum. We made it a point to teach our children the teachings of the church. We were doing so much and I almost felt insulted by this. I even talked to our Pastor and the diocese to see what they had to say and finally, after a few differing decisions between all parties, we decided to follow our Pastors wishes and enroll him. . .

So, tonight was his first class and it was SO hard. . . for me. Daddy brought him because I was a nervous wreck. I am not sure if it was because my baby was growing up or because he was going to be in a classroom, something he has never done and I am not a fan of, or if it was because of some underlying issue that I am not aware of - anyhow, I felt like a mommy sending her baby off to kindergarten for the first time, even though it was only an hour and daddy was there the entire time!
Feeling a little anxious before class began
Throughout the hour, daddy sent me pictures of what was going on, along with little updates like this one that made me smile:
"He is squatting as opposed to kneeling":
Daddy also told me that during the middle of prayer, little Jackie interjected with the fact that Little Robert is HER friend! And then all of the kiddos responded that Little Robert is all of their friend. . .even the one that shares a classroom at his school with Little Robert!
 
At one point, Daddy told me that Little Robert had his head down and I immediately began to cry - All I could think of was that someone embarrassed him or upset him. I was seriously contemplating driving up there, not because I am not trusting Daddy, but because I was so apprehensive about tonight. Then Daddy wrote back telling me that he was just tired, and that made me feel MUCH better, after all, I guess that 5 hours at the park for P.E. will do that to you.
Finally, at 8:25, I heard the garage door open and a little 6 1/2 year old boy came running to his mommy. He jumped into bed with me and told me how much fun he had at CCD class! He told me about some friends and about his book. Little Robert said that his favorite part was everything!

So, next Wednesday at 6:30, Daddy will once again head out the door with him to go to his special CCD Big Boy Religion Class and I think that I will be a bit more relaxed!

1 comment:

  1. I can completely understand your emotions. I'm praying we can homeschool. That doesn't make a bit of sense to me either. But 2 hours isn't much and you have him the rest of the time. I pray it goes well. And if not, I'm sure you can meet with the pastor again and discuss your concerns.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...