Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Sweet Baby is 4 Years Old!

I can hardly believe that my sweet, precious baby is 4!
This year has been an emotional one - as he has gotten older, we have realized just how far behind his peers he is. Because of this, Wesley had to be tested for speech and development. At first, he did  quite poorly, and I was devastated. Thinking that because I could not stay pregnant for a mere 8 weeks longer, he was now suffering. I called my friend who is a speech/language pathologist and sobbed to her about these results....

After a few weeks, we received a call from "The Office of Disabled Preschoolers" wanting to set up a further evaluation with Wesley. We went to this one and 2 hours later, we walked out with no information, other than the "he did great" and "we will get back to you in a few months." UGH! Time move  oh so slow. Finally on January 29th, we had a phone conference, I was unable to go in person because I had the flu. During this phone call, I learned that Wesley is about 6 months behind his peers in development and almost 19 months behind his peers in language. Once again the devastation returned. Because of me, he was not able to grow and mature. Because of me, he faced multiple difficulties at birth. Because of me, he now had to deal with all of these issues....

Now, my sweet baby goes to speech therapy twice a week, which in the grand scheme of things, is not terrible. In a few years time, his speech will be corrected and all of the frustrations we currently have will diminish....

So, when I look back on this year, it was full of great memories and hard memories. But, I loved every single moment of them. Wesley brings a special spunk that is like no other. He is such a unique kiddo. He is always making us laugh, yet making us pull our hair out. In fact, at speech today, as his teacher was telling me just how delightful he is, he made a fist, reared back, and punched his brother - really?!?!?!

I love this kiddo more and more every single day. He brightens my day with his sweet kisses and hugs. He comes into our bed every morning so that he can "nuggle" with us....

Wesley Keegan, I love you so very much. I love the way you smile. I love the way you tell me you will always be my baby. I love your hugs, your kisses. I love (and hate) the way you have no fear. I love watching the way you try and do everything your big brother and sister do. Wesley, you are such a big boy now. I miss all of your babyisms. I wish that I could stop (and reverse just a bit) time. I do not look forward to the day when you no longer want to snuggle. When you no longer want me to hold you. When you are to big to give me kisses or hugs in public - but I am afraid those days will be here before I am ready. The thought of you, my baby growing up, brings tears to my eyes, but no matter how big you get, you will always be my little baby!

I love you sweet boy! Happy 4th Birthday!
XOXOXO
Mommy

4 Years Old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...