Sunday, March 3, 2013

Out of the mouth of babes...

Tonight at Mass, as I was walking back from Communion, my eyes fell upon a little boy with Down Syndrome. He was so joyful - dancing down the isle, back to his pew, while his big sister tried to subdue him... much like we always did with Maura...

As they sat and I continued to my pew, I could not take my eyes off of him. His smile. His short chubby fingers. His eyes. It all reminded me of our precious little red head. At one point, the sister noticed my staring and I just grinned, waved, and quickly turned my head to hide the tears pouring from my eyes...

As I turned around, Hannah and Wesley noticed my tears, even though I tried desperately to hide it from them! Hannah went into my purse and gave me tissues and the squeezed me and kissed me. Wesley squeezed my neck and played with my hair. I was so grateful for these two sensitive, caring, and nurturing children I had at this very moment. The love they showed was beyond anything I have ever experienced from these two...

Slowly, they released their holds as my tears slowed. They each gave me one last kiss - Hannah went back to her singing and prayers and Wesley did something that still shocks me...

He looked at me and whispered "I make you stop crying, Mommy." What his plans were, I had no idea, but was anxious to see what this brand new 4 year old was about to do...

Wesley looked at me, took my glasses off and cleaned them. He them took my tissues and ever so gently, wiped my eyes. After this came the most incredible and heartfelt gesture he has done - he kissed each eye and then ever so carefully put my glasses back on...

Once he finished, he once again whispered "See, I kiss them so you no cry anymore. They all better now, Mommy." He stopped for a minute and appeared to look in the direction of the little guy with Down.Syndrome. Wesley then looked at me, leaned forward and said, "Mommy, Aunt Maura is okay in Heaven..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...