Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sneaky School Wednesday's

As you can see from the title, Wednesday is sneaky school day!
On this day, I will print off some computer sheets that are incredibly fun, yet incorporate math! We will go outside and search for insects and discuss the difference between arachnoids and insects. We will go on a scavenger hunt for different animals and classify them into categories (herbivore, mammal, vertebrae, etc). We will search for acorns that have sprouted and talk about the roots and how they work and what they need to live. We will use chalk to have word races - this works by seeing who can write a given word the fastest, the neatest, and correctly. I will do MANY read alouds and pretend to have trouble with a word and require help. Or I will stop reading at a point where something big is about to happen and the only way they can figure out what comes next is to read the rest of the chapter!
I really think Sneaky School Wednesday's are my absolute favorite day of the week - and I am nearly positive the kiddos would agree since they do not have to open a single workbook!
The other great aspect of Sneaky School Wednesday, is that there is minimal attitude. The fighting is non-existent. But, the love they show towards one another and me is incredible. They love the freedom and their behavior reflects this, which makes me so very happy.
Seeing my kiddos happy is such a joy. It definitely makes me feel like I am doing something right. In fact, as I sit here writing I am watching them create an obstacle course in the backyard. The are having such a great time and using their imaginations in ways that would be hindered in a traditional school.
No matter how hard the day might be, at the end of it, I am so glad that we are able to homeschool. That we are able to have sneaky school Wednesday. That we are able to explore the world in ways a classroom would not allow. But mostly, that my children are able to grow up at their own pace. They are not forced to act a certain way because of peer pressure.
Children are truly a gift from the Lord and I am so grateful (most of the time!) that I am able to spend almost every single moment of every single day with them!
What a gift I have been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...