Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Wesley Keegan!

Happy Birthday, Wesley Keegan!
Three years ago, we welcomed into our family a precious, beautiful, little baby boy. The day began as an ordinary Monday, full of doctor appointments and work and being a mommy/wife, but quickly turned into anything but that. . .

I left my classroom a little late for my Monday monitoring session at the doc. I was just past 33 weeks and being monitored 3 times a week due to prior placental abruptions. As soon as the nurse attached the toco monitors and left, the contractions began. They were like clockwork, every 3 minutes. I just laid on the table crying as I knew all too well what this meant. When the nurse returned, she asked me if I had been contracting and I played dumb - who, me?! She summoned in the on call doc and he did his exam and then read over my chart. Without speaking to me, he began giving the nurse orders - get her admitted. Begin IV fluids. Type/Cross 4 units of blood. Administer tribudaline. Strict bed rest. No bathroom privileges. And on and on. By the time he left, I was in tears. She gave me an envelope and I walked across the street and went up the elevator. On the way over, I called work and told them that I would not be back and asked if they could pray. I called Robert and told him what was happening and informed him that I was fine, to just stay at work because I was sure that they would stop the labor and I would just be hanging out until it was time to deliver a full-term healthy baby. I then called my family when I finally broke down and just sobbed. When I arrived upstairs, I was shaking and sobbing uncontrollably. I had no idea what to expect and the reality that I just might be having a preemie hit me full on. So many things began happening at once. . . I had blood draws, IV's placed, exams, monitors, ultrasounds, etc etc. After what felt like forever, the door to my room opened and in walked Dr. Raspa and Robert, laughing. The two people that I needed most at this moment came to my aid. They were both there when we realized that the Tribuldaline was not working. They were both there when the ROC doctor said that they needed to deliver NOW. They were both there to pray with me, with us, before we entered the OR to deliver our early baby.

Things went by so very fast and before I knew it, the doctors said "It's A Boy!" Robert and I both looked at each other and were shocked. We had purposefully not found out this ones gender, but we just knew that this he was really a she, so through our tears, we asked them if they were sure! The next little bit is a blur - I remember them running from the OR to the NICU with Robert in tow. I remember the phone call from NICU telling me that Wesley was being intubated because his lungs were not opening up. I remember the NICU doc visiting me in the recovery room and telling us that he was sick. I remember the birth certificate lady begging us for a name and finally after 3 days, bringing us a name book! I remember holding his first blanket and just sobbing that first night. I remember calling the NICU every hour for an update and then calling and/or texting my mom with an update all night. I remember crying with Robert and with my mom. I remember so much, so very vividly. . .

That first night, as I laid in my hospital bed, burying my face in his blanket, I just sobbed and sobbed. It was the hardest night of my life - just down the hall was my son. My sweet son whom I had not yet seen or touched. It was a very long 36 hours before I was able to finally meet my son and touch him with 1 finger, no stroking because we could not stimulate him.

Once he came off of the vent, things improved by leaps and bounds. After just a few short weeks, he was allowed to come home to be with his family. That day was a gorgeous, windy Saturday, a day that we will never forget. The nurse called us around lunch time and said, "Riker Family, Come On Down!" We could not get there fast enough! It was so beautiful introducing him to his siblings for the first time. Watching them as they gently held and kissed this brand new family member. I loved watching them make sure that everyone "hanitized" before touching our sweet one. We were all just smitten!

Over the past 3 years, there have been many ups and downs. Between his early and unexpected arrival, to his constantly being sick, to his reaching nearly all of his milestones late, we would not change any of it. He has taught us to be more patient and to appreciate every little step. Looking back, I guess that God knew that he would be our last and that my arms would need a wee one for a bit longer!

Also, through this, we have been able to help so many others faced with an uncomplicated preemie NICU stay. At the time, I questioned it, but now I am understanding the why behind that journey! God is really showing us that He is really the one in charge!

Wesley,
Thank you for being our son and for teaching us to be flexible and to just go with the flow. You have enriched our lives and changed it in ways we never imagined - from your sweet and never ending kisses to your crazy temper tantrums. You have amazed us and brought us so much joy. We love you sweetheart! Happy 3rd birthday!
Love Always,
Mommy and Daddy


3 Years old
2 Years Old
1 Year Old
A Few Hours Old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...