Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Slept In!

Robert and I have been married for 8 years, 5 months, and 13 days. During this time, I can count on one hand the number of times I have not gotten up with the kiddos (this does not include when I have been in the hospital). Now, let me specify this is NOT Robert's fault, rather the way things have evolved as we had children. When they were little, when they woke they would want to nurse and for obvious reasons, daddy can not do this. As they grew older, they were so accustomed to mommy waking up with them that daddy was not an option. And I like having that time with them. Well, this morning was different.....

I had asked daddy a few days ago if I could sleep in on Saturday. He of course agreed, but I did not get too excited because I was sure the kiddos would get upset because of the change in their routine. So, last night before tucking them in, I spoke to them and reminded them that when they woke up, that they needed to wake up daddy, not mommy. Surprisingly, all 3 were fine with this and I went to bed hopeful that I really might be able to sleep in!

I, very surprisingly, woke at 7:43 (kiddos NEVER sleep past 6:30) to a sleeping daddy and 3 sleeping kiddos! After the shock wore off, I closed my eyes again only to hear a certain 3 year old whispering mommy - apparently he did not understand when I said mommy is NOT getting up with you guys! I quickly sent him to daddy, where to my surprise, daddy was already getting up! He quickly scooped up Wesley and left the room. I checked out the clock and it was 7:55! Even if I were to wake up now, it still would have been the latest I had slept since....um.... I don't know!

Over the next little bit, I could hear daddy and Little Robert reading The Cat In The Hat and the kiddos 'ssshhh'ing each other. At one point, daddy' came in and turned on the classical music to block out the noise and then brushed his teeth. After this, I fell into a deep sleep and did not wake again until 10:40! When my eyes opened and were able to focus on the clock, I could not believe what I was seeing. Never have I slept past 9... not even in college! I guess that I was more tired than I had even realized! Shortly after my eyes opened, I heard the garage door open and I decided to stay in bed until the kiddos came get me :-)

Much to my surprise, when the door opened, there was daddy, Little Robert, Hannah, and Wesley carrying an iced coffee and breakfast! The only time I have gotten more than coffee in bed was in the hospital! Needless to say, I was speechless. I felt so very, very loved and special. I was being treated like a princess! Each kiddo told me something special about the morning - how he/she quietly read a book. Or reminded a sibling to stay quiet so I could sleep. Or help daddy. Daddy stayed quiet and just stood in the background smiling and listening....

I have always felt special and cherished, but the gift I received this morning was like no other. Words can not express the gratitude and love that I felt or the new depth of love and appreciation I have for my spouse. My best frriend. The love of my life.....and now that I have experienced this incredible feeling of staying in bed until your body wakes up, I might just ask for it again!

So, thank you my love for this gift today. Words cannot adequately describe just how very, very grateful I am. I hope that you enjoyed your special time with the kiddos because I might ask for this again :-) I love you with every ounce of my being and that love has only intensified after this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...