Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy 7th Birthday, Robert Edwin III

As I sit here writing, I am in a state of shock - is my first born, the child that first taught me about being selfless and about loving with every ounce of my being - is he really turning 7?! Where has the time gone? Surely I am missing something......right?!?!?!

These past 7 years have been so full of memories - Daddy and were recently talking and neither of us really recall life before Little Robert. 7 years is not that long, but having a child, especially your firstborn, changes things so drastically. He took the life that we knew as husband and wife and turned it upside down - he gave us new titles of mommy and daddy and made us re-define everything from 'date night' to fancy dinners to priorities. Little Robert has done so much more than he will ever realize!

I will always remember his second day of life - neither Daddy nor I could calm him down. He would not nurse. He would not sleep. All he wanted to do was scream. Finally, I called my mama. She came up there. Took this little 6lb 7oz bundle and he immediately quieted. She then helped him nurse and from there out we were a team.

I will always remember his very first overnight at 4 months old. All of my sisters and parents took turns with him all night. It was right before we were to move to FL and I really wanted my family to have quality time with him before we left. I left 30+ oz of breastmilk for the 18hrs he was there and he drank every last drop! Daddy and I had to go to a hotel that night as I could not go to my house without my baby.... Daddy was so very good and gave into my every want and desire!

I will never forget our first days in FL. We would bring daddy to work and then return to Grandma's and just lay around and nurse all day. When daddy would ask if we made progress finding a job, I would tell a little lie and say why of course, dear!

I will never forget when we were visiting my new job and he was playing in his room, crawling through a tunnel barefoot when a kid bit his foot! It was the first time he had ever been bitten and it broke my heart. A few weeks later, the same kid bit his cheek and broke the skin.... while I was holding both of their hands!

I will never forget the first time he saw his baby sister. For the first time, my little boy looked so very big. And then when he met his baby brother - he looked even bigger....

I will never forget the way that he loves to play with his brother and sister - albeit a little too rough at times, but he will never, ever let anybody hurt them. He is their protector and will always be there for them. 

I will never forget the way that he proudly says the pledge and prays every morning when we start school. And the way that he likes to always surprise me with his work.

My little man, my firstborn is growing up way too fast. He no longer will let me kiss him and if I do, he wipes them off. He is getting to big to hold, yet we still cuddle.....

Happy Birthday my sweet son. I love you so very much and am so proud of you. Thank you for teaching me all of the lessons that you have taught me. Thank you for teaching me to be selfless. Thank you for helping me learn to go with the flow. Enjoy your day, Robert. I love you! xoxoxoxox
7 Years Old
6 Years Old
5 Years Old
4 Years Old
3 Years Old
2 Years Old
1 Year Old
2 Days Old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...