Sunday, March 11, 2012

The NICU Nightmare

A friend of mine from High School called me up a few weeks ago and questioned about life in the NICU. You see, she had been on STRICT bedrest since 22 weeks pregnant. At one point, the docs were sure she would deliver so they gave her the steroids to mature Baby G's lungs. When she called, she had miraculously made it to 32 weeks. She asked about life in the NICU. This friend had a list of questions - everything from breastfeeding to IV's and feeding tubes. From diaper changes to vents. She wanted to know it all - the good and the bad. We spoke for a while and prayed that she would never have to experience the NICU Nightmare. . .

Well, on Monday, February 27, I received a panicked text saying "I am 34 weeks and my water just broke. Baby G is on his way. P R A Y!" I told the kiddos and we all dropped to our knees praying. Praying that this sweet baby would be okay. That she would be okay. That her husband and son would be okay. Around 9 that night, I received word that he was here weighing in at 4lbs 6oz! I was sent pictures of this sweet baby boy being held by his father, mother, grandparents, and finally one of him in the NICU. Once again, he miraculously needed no support - no IV's, feeding tubes, oxygen - just monitoring!

My dear friend and I texted daily. I would let her know of my prayers and she would give me updates, ask questions about our experience, vent about the nurses! I will always remember one text asking me if this NICU nightmare ever got easier and honestly, I will say that no it does not. Having your baby away from your side, having others tell you what you can and can not do, how much/how little/how often you can feed your wee one, if you can breastfeed or not, if you can hold, etc. is so very, very difficult that unless you have been there, you can not even fathom. Then there is the roller coaster of they are doing great one minute and the next they are needing some oxygen to keep their sats up. Or they are losing too much weight. Or they are having unknown apnea spells. There was always something to burst your bubble... Until that joyous occasion of passing the 'car seat test' because then you know that the end is in sight - it is so very close. I will never forget her phone call last Thursday telling me that he passed his car seat test and they were anticipating a discharge date of Saturday. We fervently prayed and cried tears of joy when I received a text of this sweet mama at home with here 2 boys!

I remember crying daily for this sweet friend and her family for so many reasons - both for the pain that they were feeling and the pain they were spared. This sweet Baby G just needed to grow. Aside from that, he was perfect. Thanks to my friend and all of her hard work, she was able to grow this baby for 12 extra weeks. She was able to spare them the trauma of what NICU could be....

I must say that now, as I look back at these past 2 weeks, I am grateful for all that we went through with Wes. I never thought that I could use it to help others, but I did. Once again, God knew what He was doing when He sent us Wesley Keegan and had us endure all that we did during those first few weeks of his life and I am able to see that....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...