Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Tummy Ache from H-E-L-L *Meckel's Scan*

Well, today was the long awaited day for Hannah to have her Meckel's Scan to see if she has an active Meckel's Diverticulum. If you recall, back in November, she was hospitalized at Wolfson's for recurring episodes enterocentric intussusception.  At our follow-up for that, it was decided to perform this test as it is the least invasive of all of the options presented to us. The downside is that only sometimes (<50%) does it accurately rule out this specific diverticulum, however if it was actively bleeding or in the midst of an intussusception episode, it would 100% accurately diagnose it. Even with this, we felt like we needed to do something and this was 'easy' - there was no bowel prep, no sedation, nothing too bad, so we scheduled it. . .

We arrived at Wolfson's a bit past 7 this morning. I literally woke Hannah, brushed her hair, and loaded her into the van. She was asking a lot of questions on the way and very curious about what was going to happen. She was also VERY concerned that she would require a shot, a.k.a an IV. I neither confirmed nor denied, but just comforted. Once we arrived, the tears began and she would not let me put her down. At one point I was ready to just say forget this and walk out with her, but of course, they called our name before we could! After she received her bracelet, she calmed enough to let me put her down. . .
In her jammies playing in the lobby - P-Nut is on her wrist!
Before long, we were called back to the room that the test would take place in and as soon as we walked in, the tears began again. This time however, she was also screaming for me to not put her down. She was terrified - I think it reminded her of the Treatment Room from the hospitalization that she still has fears about. . . I was finally able to set her on the table and the guy spoke to her about everything that would happen. At first, they were VERY concerned about a 4 year old laying completely still for the 90 minute procedure because they *always* use anesthesia for kiddos that age. I asked if we could just give it a shot and they agreed. He then began to look for a vein. She was VERY brave for this, but when he pulled out his tray from the back room, she became very scared again. Realizing this and that he really only had one shot before she lost it, he called in a PICU nurse to come and do it and she did great! Hannah screamed at first, but before the nurse had the needle out, Hannah was calm and asking if it was over - I never got her name, but thank you!  Hannah chose a movie, laid down, and was ready to go.
 
I am very happy to say that she did not move the ENTIRE time! I am not sure if it was the threat of another IV or what, but she did great! I could not have been prouder.

 After the test, the tech told me the results: NEGATIVE. For this I am VERY grateful as it tells us that she is not actively bleeding or having an intussusception episode. But at the same time I am left wondering if she is in the group that gets a  false negative. . . So, I pray that it is accurate. That this is behind us. That she is getting better. Even if it is not though, I know that I am relaxing with it all. I have let her leave my side. I have given her more independence. Now, I still jump when she screams in pain, but it is much better and for that I am very grateful! I think we all have a peace about all of this now and the newness of it has worn off.

After the test, we went to the gift shop because she wanted to get a treat for her brothers since they could not come and took a picture in front of the Wolfson's crayons!
The goodies: Blankie, P-Nut, candy for brothers, and brand new Teddy!
After this, we went to Chik-fil-A for some breakfast since she was NPO from 10p on. I let her choose her breakfast: Chicken Nuggets, lemonade, and a brownie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...