Monday, December 26, 2011

Electronics

Tonight as we all sat in the living room, I noticed something rather sad - something that I noticed yesterday amidst all of the fellowship of family - The undeniable presence of  electronics. Whether it is cell phones, computers/laptops, PSP's, DS', Kindle/Nook's, iTouch's - ANYTHING. It all takes away from quality family time. The kind of family time where you interact and communicate. The kind where you have fun and make memories. Not the time together where you merely acknowledge ones presence. . .

Now, as I mentioned earlier, I noticed this with us - we are guilty of this too - as I sit here and type on our computer, my 4 year old daughter is playing an iTouch that was gifted to us from a VERY kind neighbor and Daddy is playing on my Kindle Fire. Earlier, Hannah and Daddy were playing Connect 4, while Little Robert played KidZui on the computer, Wesley played something on the iTouch, and I played around on my new Kindle Fire. We were all in the same room, but we were all so involved in our own little world that we could have cared less what the other was doing. . .

I am realizing more and more just how common electronics are now - "No Cell Phone" signs that are present at Mass and the reminders before times of worship/quiet times to turn the off all electronics. I really have to stop and think what will happen in 10 years when my kids are teenagers. Will we only communicate via text message or other electronic device? Will we interact? Now, I know that we will, but regardless, what will the temptation in *this* area be. The thought of what *could* be truly terrifies me. I do think that one positive for us, is that we only switched from dial up about a year ago and still do not have WiFi!

So, for now, I will remain aware of this. I will not let us become consumed by this electronic era. We will still play games as a family and not watch TV and play on the computer 24/7. We will read physical books, as well as eBooks. I will try to find that healthy balance that is required of everything. . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I know what you mean! We struggle with this as well. I'm the technology police at our home and it gets old fast. Hubby comes home and is always on the Ipad, video game, computer, or tv. It drives me crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...