Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mothering WITH and WITHOUT Daycare

I have been thinking a lot lately about what I miss about working and what I love about staying home. I never thought that , 15 months ago, in July of 2010 when I left work and pulled the kiddos out of daycare, that I would ever *miss* ANYTHING about it, but I do. . .just a little!

I knew that I would NOT miss the chaos of being out the door by 6:15am. Or the lack of quality time with my family because we were so consumed with everything else - in the evening, it was dinner, walk, bath, books, bed. There was no playing of games or lots of giggles with daddy and the kiddos. There was no snuggling on the couch with daddy or just enjoying each others company at the end of a long day. We were so stressed, worked, and exhausted, that anything that was not a necessity, was pushed to the side.

So, I absolutely LOVE that all of this is not the case anymore. That the five of us can enjoy quality time with each other. We laugh more. Hug more. Enjoy things more than I ever thought we could! I also try and make things as stress free as possible for us, which is why, since I began staying home, I can be NOWHERE, ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE on time!


There are times, however, that I DO miss work, and not so much work, but daycare for the kiddos. The days when I could use some private time, some me time. The days when I would drop the kiddos at daycare and go home to take a nap, or just do something for myself. There are the days like today where I have some sort of tummy bug that has me not being able to keep things down where I wish that I could just bring them to daycare, return home, and rest. I would hopefully be 100% when I go back and get them this evening. . .

But, then I think about it. If I had daycare right now, I would not have had my sweet daughter rub my back as she walked in on me. Or my sweet son set up my pillow (covered with a towel!) on the couch with a garbage can next to it. There are so many little things that they do that I would miss. . .

Then there are the "aha!" moments when they put a new concept together, that I would miss. The moment when Hannah began to read, I would have missed. Seeing Robert's love and relationship with his brother and sister grow and deepen would be missed. Watching Wesley grow and develop and think that every animal is a goggy and everything is green. I would miss so much, but up until last July, I did not realize just HOW I was missing. . .

Being able to stay home and see all of of this I owe to daddy, for without him, none of this would be able to take place. Together, we trusted in God that we, with His help, could make this happen, and so far, He has not led us astray! So, thank you, Daddy for showing me and allowing me to follow in your trusting lead. ANd especially thank you, God for allowing us, your unworthy servants this gift. . .

If I had to do it all again, I would not change a thing. I have experienced life as a working mommy and now a stay-at-home mommy and they both have their advantages and dis-advantages. As a mommy, or just a parent in general, you are constantly changing and adapting to your child(ren). It is a perpetual guessing game that keeps you on your toes!

1 comment:

  1. I always had/have to remind myself that each way has it's crosses! I also realized that I would have missed so much by not being home with them. Even now that they are older we still have ample family time and less stress with running to and from activities! My husband sacrificed a lot as well to have me at home. God bless Robert and you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...