Monday, August 29, 2011

6 Years Ago

Not so Little Robert at 4months old - right after our move.
6 years ago today, we loaded our little Mazda Protege with all of the items that could not fit on the moving truck and began the 600 mile trip to Jacksonville, FL. Little Robert was just 4 months old at the time. . .

It all started with SouthTrust Bank being bought by Wachovia. They were getting rid of Big Robert's position at the bank which would leave him jobless. We trusted in God and did what we felt was right - opened doors everywhere. One thing that we knew without hesitation was that we would go nowhere if there was not family, so that essentially left 2 options - Jackson, MS or Jacksonville, FL. Robert put in applications and went for interviews. We put our house on the market as a FSBO. Then it came, a job offer from Wachovia in Jacksonville. The offer was incredible, but there was the dilemma of the house. We prayed and prayed, trusting in God's ultimate plan. Our house was listed one evening and within 18 hours, we had a full price offer! Yes, God spoke to us and said take it, so we did.

Leaving MS was hard. I am from MS. I had never lived outside of MS. I was taking away my parents grandson and my siblings nephew. I was missing out on the day to day of my family. But, we trusted and this was what God was showing us. . .

As luck would have it, our move coincided with Katrina and our movers had, rightfully so, returned to New Orleans to be with their families. Sadly, their families lost nearly everything and when the driver came to bring us our stuff, 5 weeks after we moved here, he had all of his belongings piled behind his cab. It was very surreal to see that they lost nearly everything they had, yet he still had a smile on his face and was just as incredible as he was that day in MS when he loaded the truck.

Lots has happened in the past six years. Everyone has gotten older, even though I still see my *little* siblings as they were when we moved. For some reason, time has stopped in my head when I think of them - when we left, my little sister was 9 - now she drives and is a sophomore in high school. Two of my sisters have married. My brother will *hopefully* marry his girlfriend (Hint Hint to you both!) My parents have celebrated more milestones. We have welcomed 2 more children into our family. Life has continued for all . . .
Our First *TINY* House - White picket fence and all!

It feels like so long ago that we moved, but then it feels like just yesterday I was sitting on the porch with my mama at our old house. Our first house. Our first home. Who knows what the future holds, but for now, we wait and continue to be open to whatever God has in store for us.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

  1. We miss you guys every day! FYI- Mollie is a junior! I still can't believe she is that old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Heck! I knew that I would mess up with her or JoJo. . . Like I said, it is hard to see them as growing up! Geez! Robert and I both say that when the time is right, God will open the doors and we will return. Soon, very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...