Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Strangers

Tonight, we learned firsthand of the kindness of strangers. . .

I took the kiddos to McDonald's for a special treat. Normally, on Tuesday and Thursday they have $1.99 Happy Meals, so I had promised the kiddos all day that if they were good, we would go and get one. However, once we arrived, we realized that this is not the case anymore and I refuse to pay full price for one! I pulled the kiddos aside and informed them that we would not be getting the Happy Meals, but that we could still get chicken nuggets or a hamburger. They were a little disappointed, but that quickly faded when they remembered that there were games! The kiddos ran off to play and I stared at the menu trying to figure out how to get dinner for them with the cash I brought for 3 $1.99 Happy Meals. As I was contemplating my options, an older couple walked up to me. They were waiting for their decaf coffee and hot fudge sundaes when they heard me talking to the kiddos. This couple spoke to me for a moment and then the gentleman handed me a $20 bill. He told me to get them some dinner, that since he can not get his own grandkids Happy Meals, that he wanted to do it for mine. I tried to argue, but it did no good and so off I went, buying 3 Happy Meals. After I paid, I took the change and brought it to the man. Again, he insisted that I keep the change and buy them some ice cream or another Happy Meal later!

As they walked off to enjoy their date, I stood there waiting for our food with tears rolling down my cheeks. They had no idea that today had been a hard day. They have no idea whether we struggle or not. They just saw a young mother trying to figure out the best way to be cheap and wanted to step in to help out.

When I brought the food to the table, I had each kiddo write a thank you note to the couple and before they ate, we delivered them. Robert, Hannah, and Wesley each passed on their note and we all exchanged hugs and thank yous.

This mystery couple taught all of us a very important lesson tonight - one that I will never forget. So whoever they are, wherever they are, I hope that they know just how grateful we are for their kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...