Sunday, January 8, 2012

Friendship

I have been thinking a lot lately about friends, but today, as I was snuggling with Little Robert, I began to really ponder what makes a friend. Sure, there are lots of people that I call friends, but out of those people, who would really be there in a time of need? Who could I call in the middle of the night if I needed to?

In my head, I sort of made 2 columns - one that I could count on and one that, while still a friend, they did not meet the 'criteria' of the prior column. It truly surprised me that the second column far outweighed the first. Do not get me wrong, they are still friends, just a little different than the first small column.

And then when I looked at the first column again, I realized that there were friends on it whom I have not spoken to in quite a while - maybe even since high school. But I would still feel just as comfortable now as I did years ago, and when we talk, it is like nothing ever happened, that time has stood still. There were also friends in that column who live hundreds of miles away, but I know that they would be here in an instant if I needed. Or friends, that I have called on in times of need, yet I have never met them personally - a spouse of a friend or such.

That does not mean that the second column is any less valuable. They are the people that I know will be there, but I might have to think twice before calling. Or be a little more guarded with. Maybe I do not truly know them yet or the distance between us has become too great. Or maybe their life is just so busy with their own families, that I do not want to be a burden. Regardless though, this column is just as important and has its own unique qualities.  

When I asked myself, could I make it without having friend column one or two, the answer is no. Each of them play such an important role in life. . . And each person on each column plays a different role. I know who to call if I need to vent about my husband or my kiddos. I know who I can call on a moments notice and ask a favor. I know who I can call and say we need a girls night. Every single friend is just as important as the next. . .

Lord, I ask You to bless my friend who is reading this right now.
Where there is pain,
may they find peace and mercy.
Where there is self-doubt,
may they gain a renewed confidence.
Where there is weariness or exhaustion,
give them understanding, patience, and strength.
Where there is fear,
reveal your love, and offer to them your courage.
Give them greater vision, bless their finances,
and raise up leaders and friends to support and encourage them.
May their spirit always be joyous and
their days rich and full with love and happiness,
And may they always know that they have a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...