Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mommy knows best.... Or does she?!

As I was snuggling with my beauties tonight, as I have done almost every single night for the past 7 1/2 years, I began to wonder if anyone else came to snuggle with Robert, Hannah, and Wesley, would know just what they like and how they fall asleep. And after this thought, I began to realize just how very different each and everyone of them are - An Individual made in the image and likeness of God. A little person with their very own set of likes and dislikes. A unique child that is like no other.....

Little Robert likes to sleep with his blue fuzzy blanket and Little R, his monkey friend that he has had for the past 5 years. When he first gets into bed, he likes to read, this is slowly transitioning into him reading to me, which I adore. After this, he rolls onto his right side and fall asleep within 5 or so minutes. He likes for me just to be next to him as he drifts into dreamland. Unlike the others, I can not have an arm or leg draped over him. But, if I leave too soon after he falls asleep, he will wake up and not go back to sleep until I snuggle again!

Hannah will read until I get there, but once I arrive, she is ready to go to sleep. We turn off the lights and get cozy into her bed where she has to have her horse sheets, comforter, and pillow. Then she must be covered by her pink flower blanket and finally her striped blanket. Finally, against the wall are her 30+ 'aminals' that join her nightly. Unlike her older brother, she must have my leg over her. if it is not there, she will fight sleep even more than she already does. Once she settles down, the battle begins - her eyes will begin to flutter and just as they are closing, they are wide open. This goes on for a bit with the amount of time her eyes are closed increasing everytime until finally, they are closed... UNTIL I get out of bed! At this point they open with a jolt and she becomes very confused, scared, and disoriented - night after night! Once I promise to come back, she calms down and I move onto Wesley....

Wesley is our wild child and is quite difficult to get to sleep - thus, the reason he is last to snuggle with! Before I come to him, he will sit in his bed and just 'read' books and talk to himself or his animals. Once I arrive and get into his toddler bed - a.k.a. a wood bed frame with a crib mattress - the real antics begin. He will wiggle and squirm. He will sing and talk. He will smack his lips and clear his throat ---> NON-STOP until Daddy comes in for a chat/you better settle down and go to sleep or else speech! After daddy leaves, he will settle down and only whisper while he shakes his legs and wiggles his fingers. This will go on and on and on, until suddenly, he is still and quiet. Wesley goes and goes and goes until he will literally drop and fall asleep in seconds! As soon as this occurs, I am free to get up and go about the rest of my evening!

As I was thinking about this tonight, it hit home just how unique and individual each and every child is. How what works for Robert will not work for Hannah and Wesley and so on. I have really realized this with discipline and bad behavior as well lately. With Hannah, all you have to do is tell her that you are disappointed and the tears begin and she will immediately change the behavior. If I tried that with the boys, they would shrug their shoulders and continue.

I pray that as this journey of parenting Robert, Hannah, and Wesley continues, that God can lead me, guide me, and give me the wisdom to be attentive to each of their individual needs. That I can know what will work to correct behaviors. That I can find what teaching method each needs as we continue on this homeschooling journey. That I will always be there in a time of need with whatever that individual child might need.

I also pray that I will never lose sight that these beautiful, unique, individuals that God has entrusted us with, that they are ultimately His children and I should always thank him, even in the hardest times, for the gift of Robert, Hannah, and Wesley as I am so undeserving of this most incredible gift......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...